Important Information About Laser Eye Surgery

|

It seems as though there have been millions of seemingly successful procedures since laser eye surgery was first introduced in the United States in 1991. I see commercials for procedures all the time. I have not yet heard about any horror stories involving laser eye surgery nor have I heard about any class action lawsuits filed against the laser eye surgery industry. Unfortunately, I think that they will likely come one day. Like many people, I need a bit more convincing before I sign up for something that sounds as drastic as shaping your eyeball with a laser in order to see better.

You see, I have a light prescription for nearsightedness and would probably make a good candidate for this kind of procedure. I am still waiting for more evidence that this procedure is completely safe. It simply sounds illogical that a laser can be used to shape an eyeball without causing any residual damage. I am going to wait a good while to see if, even after decades, laser eye surgery causes any damage to the patient's eyes. I think that there should be many years of research and analysis completed before any procedure can be deemed harmless.

Laser eye surgery, like all surgeries or medical procedures, does have its complications. Some people experience double vision or a halo effect after the surgery. An important thing to keep in mind while trying to decide whether or not to go through with the procedure is that eye laser surgery is irreversible. There is no going back, folks. If getting laser eye surgery leaves you with unwanted or intolerable side effects, you may be stuck with them, forever.

Since its introduction, laser eye surgery has become more and more affordable which is a sign of a competitive market. It may also be a sign of waning standards in the young industry. Where I come from, you get what you pay for and this motto has served me well. I think that you are just asking for trouble if you sign up for any discount surgery. Those savings come at a price one away or another. Exactly what did they skimp on to save you money? That is one question that potential patients ought to ask themselves and their doctors.

I think that it is a good idea to wait a few more years before I give laser eye surgery much confidence. This is just one of those new things that have to have a while to sit before we can feel that we know all that we need to or should know about it. Laser eye surgery may be the lifesaver that many claim it to be but I think I'll wait a bit longer before I buy into it or bet my sight on it.